Friday, December 5, 2008

Did You Know?


What do you know about Mt Baker? I've thought about it and wanted to tell you about the Mountain that's in my backyard. Not really but close enough. I've always love the snowcapped mountains from a young child, it's a love my dad pasted down to me. So I want to share a few fun facts about Mt Baker.
The Mountain is 10,778 feet tall, it is the 4th tallest in Washington State and the 6th tallest in the Cascade Range. It can be seen from Vancouver BC, with some parts of Everett and Seattle that can see Baker to the SW. It is an active volcano though it hasn't erupted since 1880, there are steam puffs and small tremors.
After Mount Rainer, Baker is the most heavily glaciated of the Cascade volcanoes: the volume of snow and ice on Mount Baker is greater than that of all the other Cascades volcanoes (except Rainier) combined. It is also one of the snowiest places in the world; in 1999, Mount Baker Ski Area, located on a subsidiary peak, set the world record for snowfall in a single season—1,140 inches (95 feet).


Till later keep those feet warm in nice wool socks.
Happily knitting socks, Bye.

No comments: