Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Did You Know

What do you know Christmas trees?

I thought this would be interesting this time of the year. So here goes something that I found out.
Christmas trees are one of the most popular traditions with the celebration of Christmas. The Egyptians were part of a long line of cultures that treasured and worshipped evergreens. When the winter solstice arrive, they brought green date palm leaves into their homes to symbolize life's triumph over death.
The Romans celebrated the winter solstice with a fest called Saturnalia in honor of Saturnus, the god of agriculture. They decorated their houses with greens and lights and exchanged gifts. They gave coins for prosperity, pastries for happiness, and lamps to light one's journey through life.
Centuries ago in Great Britain, woods priests called Druids used evergreens during mysterious winter solstice rituals. The Druids used holly and mistletoe as symbols of eternal life, and place evergreen branches over doors to keep away evil spirits.
Late in the Middle Ages, Germans and Scandinavians placed evergreen trees inside their homes or just outside their doors to show their hope in the forthcoming spring. Our modern Christmas tree evolved from these early traditions.
The First Christmas tree in America is claimed by Easton Pennsylvania where German settlers erected on tree in 1816. A German immigrant August Imgard was the first to popularise Candy Canes on the tree.
Now all over the world people associate Christmas with a tree. It doesn't matter if its a fake one or a real tree, they all make the season more merry and festive.
My all time favorite tree is Charlie Browns tree. Even the smallest and the simplest can be beautiful its all in how you see it.

This is just a little bit that I found in a quick search. I hope you have a great Christmas tree. If you enjoy my "Did You Know" posting please feel free to leave a comment. I'm having fun looking out things that I want to know about.

So till later. I'll update you on my happenings. So keep warm its cold outside. Bye.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the "do you know" and Charlie Brown's tree is our favorite too .. xxxoo Shari

Toby said...

I enjoy your "did you know" posts, including the one you did about Sumas. Even though I've lived most of my life in WA I've never been there. I had to stop and think for a minute what good things I'd say about Silverdale or Bremerton....oh yeah, it took a minute, but there are good things and fun events! *Laugh*